Three weeks of applique.
I'm making progress with this applique. I'm excited that it's taking shape & actually looking like what I imagined it might look like.
A closer look.
Since my last hand applique quilt, I've come to the realization that some embroidery, here & there, adds a lot of interest to applique. Below, I've drawn a light white circle around the area where I will embroider part of the bird's eye. Some people are quite skilled when working with teeny, tiny circles. I'm going to keep it simple. Applique-ing tiny shapes is a skill I might tackle some other time. I usually wait to embroider after the entire applique is done on a block. However, I'm too anxious to see how this bird will look with embroidery. This is one way that I work to keep from getting tired of my project. It's sometimes a challenge to stay with the same project for weeks at a time for me.
I've embroidered the eye with a stem stitch all the way around. First white floss around the eye then, a beige color around the outside. Two stab stitches for the eye highlight. I also thought I would soften the black fabric by making small straight stitches with black floss around the area. Notice the white/gray fabric for the wing. This is the same fabric I used for the beak. I did use some fabric markers to darken the beak with a little gray & black. I then used a not quite black floss to embroider the beak. This didn't take too long to do.
A close up of the small flower.
Straight stitching around the flower with a cluster of french knots in the center. I also used simple straight stitches around the petals.
This photo below is what I've completed so far.
I'm not yet done with this side. I still need to embroider veins onto the leaves & a few vines.
I think I'm going to applique a different bird on the opposite side of this table runner. I don't want to applique the same bird all over again.
Today is the beginning of week four. I might be able to embroidery a vine or two.
Stay tuned.....I'll post my progress in two weeks!