Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Impressionist Art Quilt


Inspired By A Water Scene

With this summer's temperature reaching triple digits, I can only think of  being on a beach somewhere.   Especially since I've been doing everything else except quilting.  Today I'm posting a quilt that was inspired by a water front scene from a trip to Acapulco.

Imagine a cool breeze.......


The quilt didn't turn out exactly like the photo as I had envisioned because I didn't have access to a variety of different values of fabrics.   I was living outside of the US & ordering on the internet was not an option either.  In spite of this, I was determined & went to work from my collection of fabrics & used textile paints.  Thank goodness there was a small artist's shop close to where I lived.  

This is the quilt that I made several years ago.


The foundation is made up of 2" or 2 1/2" squares.  The wrought iron is my own drawing & is fused on to the background.  The wrought iron applique is stitched down with invisible thread.  It is free motion quilted with an all over leaf design. 

What I learned by making this quilt? 

I learned to do what you can with what you have.  Part of the fun of creating a quilt is figuring out how to use your inspiration (a photo, sketch, or quilt pattern, etc.) & translate what you see.  It can be a lot of fun if you're interested in duplicating what you see.  However, it is a great thrill to create something original.  Especially if you're trying out a new technique or stretching your abilities.   

Didn't have a new quilting project to post so, I thought I would share a quilt from good times gone by.  As soon as time allows, I'll get back to stitching by hand or by machine.  The UFO's are patiently waiting for me.

Have a wonderful day!



No comments:

Post a Comment