Thursday, October 3, 2013

Half Square Triangles...

Simple Abundance.......this is what I will name the traditional quilt top that I just made with half square triangles, aka HST's.  I started making this quilt because I inherited an abundant stack of brown squares from a friend who was cleaning out her sewing room.  I had just finished my Spanish Lavender art quilt (see Gallery-Impressionist tab for photo) & wanted to piece something a little easier.  Here's part of the stack I still have left for another quilt top...


These squares are 5" and were pieced by drawing a diagonal line from corner to corner, sewing 1/4" from each side of the pencil line, then cut apart down the pencil line to form two HST's.


 Pressed open..


After you have several HST'S sewn and pressed, you're ready to begin with designing the layout.  There are so many variations but, I decided on a barn raising layout.......

Getting back to basic sewing was very therapuetic.....it's not yet quilted but here is what the quilt top looks like thus far.... 

Draped over a chair... 


Close up of border....


Spread across a queen size bed for a better view of barn raising layout.....turkey reds go well with browns and neutrals......


Now on to the next thing on my to do list....unfortunately, it is not quilting related.....

Here's wishing that your day be filled with simple abundance.....

Until next time!






No comments:

Post a Comment