Sunday, March 10, 2013

Coneflowers...

How do you decide what you'll do next?  

This seems to be the question that I get asked the most.   Always do what you love & you'll enjoy the process.  

First,  I typically hold auditions.......this usually brings in many models as you see below...



Some of the models are vertically challenged, while others are vertically enhanced.  They are all pretty & they all want to be selected...


So begins the process of elimination, much like the auditions held for American Idol...


After a long & tough selection process.....a top model is born....


Now that you have a model to work from, the next step is to decide how you get this picture converted to a pattern you can work with.  The fastest way is to use photo software.  I used Adobe Photo Elements to speed up this step.  Below is the enlarged paper pattern.  


I begin to select fabrics that I see in the original photo.  As is usually the case, I never seem to have all the values I need so, I decided to hand dye some fabrics.  I used RIT Dye below & followed basic formulas with adjustments here & there depending on the values I wanted.   You can find basic formulas for dyeing on www.ritdye.com.  


Fabrics are pressed & ready to be used in the photo below.  I only used the pinks, mauves & greens from this stack in addition to other commercial fabrics which you'll see in a moment.  What did you say?   A lot of work?   Remember I mentioned to do what you love & you'll enjoy the process.  No, this wasn't a lot of work for me.


Fast forwarding to paint touch ups for depth on the stem of this coneflower.


Close up of dense quilting done on the petals.


Below is what the backside of the quilt looks like. By the way, this whole process took several weeks to work on.  I did not magically whip this up in one afternoon....



Guess what?  I found a broken thread that I have to repair.....sigh......just when I thought it was done.

To see the front side of this art quilt, scroll back up to the top, click on the tab....Gallery-Floral to see the completed piece.  


Hope you enjoyed this post & thanks for stopping by to visit.  

 Don't forget to carve out a little time for creativity in your day...




















No comments:

Post a Comment