Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Lights Mediums & Darks

We quilters first learn about value in simpler terms called lights, mediums & darks.   Artists who have to mix paints also learn about lights, mediums & darks but refer to this as value in color.  If you are a quilter who isn't interested in learning these terms it's probably more fun to simply look at fabric by thinking of lights, mediums, & darks.  It's what makes scrappy quilts look gorgeous.

This photo below is an example of lights, mediums & darks.  In fact, these are 4 1/2" star blocks that I just finished working on for my local guild's raffle quilt for next year.

After sewing the flying geese sections of these blocks I was going to be left with the little bitty triangles.  So before I cut off the triangles from the corners, I sewed them together.  Then I cut them off & pressed them.  I couldn't bear to throw them away these perfectly cute half square triangles.  So I sewed these together & here you have a four patch that appears to be a 1 7/8" by 1 3/4" square.  

So here are the rest of the half square triangles from the star block flying geese.  So what am I going to do with them, you ask?   I don't know.  This is the beauty of it.    When I quilt, sew, or draw, it is my own creation.   No one is around to tell me to do it this way or that way or who is this quilt for?   I do know one thing for sure......these itty bitty wonky four patches will not be in any quilt show.  


I'll have another post for tomorrow.  For now good night.....










No comments:

Post a Comment