Thursday, March 15, 2012

Use of Lights, Mediums, & Darks

This beautiful quilt below was exhibited in the Houston Intern'l Quilt Show - 2011.  It is called, "Merryed in Wynter", by Karen Price -Oklahoma.




Techniques:  Needle turn applique, couched surface embellishment, hand embroidery, hand quilting & beading.


This quilt design is original with the birds pattern adapted from Jane Townswick's book, "Applique Takes Wing".  


When I was a little girl, my grandmother would say to me that anytime you spotted a cardinal, you would have good luck come your way!  My grandmother had a wonderful knack for embellishing her stories.   It was her way of making my childhood magical.  She is no longer with us but, I do remember this memory anytime I see cardinals & this brings a great big smile to my face.

Closeup of the couched small vine.  Stunning!!!


Looking at this quilt is just what I needed to inspire me to continue some of my hand applique work.   So I'm going to unplug from my computer for a while.  I'll be able to get at least three shapes done before dinner.   Hand applique is doable in baby steps.......a little each day.......or so......

Until next time.....



No comments:

Post a Comment