Tuesday, October 25, 2011

T'was The Summer Before Xmas

Below is a quilt that was in the Festival Gallery of Quilt Art: Town & Country from 2008 thru 2010.  I just got it back from a three year juried world exhibit from Houston.  It's so nice to have it back. 

The idea for this quilt started in 2007, while my husband & I were living at the Sheraton Hotel in Mexico City, Mexico.  We were in the process of repatriating back to the states.  With all our belongings packed, I only had my drawing pad & colored pencils to keep me busy during a whole month's stay at the hotel.  I just kept drawing the characters from the 12 days of Xmas in a summer scene.  When it was finally time to board a plane back to the US, I packed my drawings.  Towards the end of this same year I saw a call for entries by the Houston Inter'l Quilt show web site.  I decided to translate my drawings into fabric & then a quilt.  I didn't know if it would be accepted but, I thought I would try anyway.  I was so excited that it was accepted for this exhibit.   This quilt measures 60"w x 72"l.  



I'm thinking of making this quilt into a Christmas scene.  This quilt took a few months to complete but, this time around it should go a little bit faster because the placement for the design is done.  At least I'm hoping it doesn't take as long to make.  In any case, I plan on enjoying the process.  The hunt for the fabric is always exciting.....  

No comments:

Post a Comment